Let’s face it, working in contact centers isn’t always easy, and the daily stresses of handling upset customers can take their toll. It’s important to focus on keeping morale high to bolster staff retention and ensure that your front-line team remain motivated to provide great service. Here are a few top tips for keeping your staff’s spirits high:
- Praise Great Work: Too frequently, contact center agents will only receive feedback from their supervisors when they’ve made a mistake. Ensure that there are consistent opportunities for agents to receive praise for a job well done, both privately in conversations with their managers and in group settings like a team meeting.
- Create Safe Spaces for Venting: When an agent has a difficult interaction with a customer, they often feel frustrated, angry, or overwhelmed. Encouraging agents to decompress by talking to a manager or peer, taking a walk away from their desks, or simply taking a few moments of pause can ensure that these negative sentiments don’t cloud subsequent interactions.
- Make Work Fun: While customer service is an incredibly important job, it’s equally important to remember to keep the mood light and fun in your contact center. Gamifying common work activities and fostering friendly competition can be ways to create fun in the workplace, as well as communal activities like team lunches or outings.
- Set Achievable Short-Term Goals: Whether it’s reducing daily call handle times or improving customer feedback scores, providing opportunities for your team to have small wins on a regular basis increases confidence.
- Reward Top Performers: Sometimes, a little additional incentive can go a long way. Even something as simple as a free coffee or premium parking spot awarded to an outstanding performer can motivate your entire team to go the extra mile.
- Encourage Connections with Customers: At the end of the day, customer service is all about helping people. Reminding your agents of this mission and encouraging them to form real, human connections with the customers they interact with makes their work feel more meaningful and satisfying.
At StellaService, we are passionate about increasing morale across front-line teams. Our Stella Connect product has been built specifically for this purpose. Find out more here.